The modern playlist is the descendant of the mix tape. And like my mix tapes, I make a significant effort to make sure they are right—and by right, I mean that there is a certain cohesion and shared texture that inspires me. What I love about digital versus tape is the great flexibility for experimentation (though, sometimes I do miss walking around Manhattan with my old yellow cassette Sports Walkman). The playlist featured in this blog entry was easier to compile because it features one artist. I first created my “Best of Basia” playlist in 2005, and have updated it with each new album.
I have been a fan of Basia since 1990, when she released her second solo album, London Warsaw New York. I became aware of her because of her superb cover of “Until You Come Back to Me.” I remember using one of the listening stations in Tower Records to listen to the album, which I purchased on vinyl. London Warsaw New York had other remarkable songs such as “Cruising for Bruising,” “Brave New Hope,” and “Baby You’re Mine.” Four years later she followed up with the brilliant The Sweetest Illusion, which features, what I consider to be her masterwork, “Yearning.” Around this time, I finally picked up her first solo album, Time and Tide, which features the title track as well as “New Day for You.”
In 1995 Basia released a live album, Basia on Broadway— a vocal tour de force! Three years later, she released a greatest hits album with several new songs.
Basia would reunite with her Matt Bianco bandmates (her first band) in 2004 on Matt’s Mood and finally release another solo album in 2009 with the beautiful composed and arranged, It’s That Girl Again. Her latest release is Butterflies, which is nothing short of outstanding. I recently updated my Best of Basia playlist to include tracks from Butterflies. Let me know if you like this combination!
- “If Not Now Then When” from It’s That Girl Again
- “I Must” from It’s That Girl Again
- “From Newport to London” from Newport to London
- “Matteo” from Butterflies
- “Just Another Day” from Peter White’s Caravan of Dreams
- “From Now On (Live)” from Basia on Broadway
- “Half a Minute (Live)” from Basia on Broadway
- “Yearning” from The Sweetest Illusion
- “There’s a Tear” from It’s That Girl Again
- “It’s That Girl Again” from It’s That Girl Again
- “Liang & Zhu” from Butterflies
- “Butterfly” from Butterflies
- “Waters of March” from Clear Horizon
- “Go for You” from Clear Horizon
- “Astrud” from Time and Tide
- “Where’s Your Pride” from Butterflies
- “Baby Your Mine” from London Warsaw New York
- “The Prayer of a Happy Housewife” from The Sweetest Illusion
- “An Olive Tree” from The Sweetest Illusion
- “Reward (Live)” from Basia on Broadway
- “Until You Come Back To Me” from Basia on Broadway
- “Brave New Hope” from Basia on Broadway
Click here to visit Basia’s website!